Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Beauty For Ashes Pregnancy and Infant Loss Support Group



"...and provide for those who grieve in Zion--to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes..." Isaiah 61:3


I'm so, so happy to be able to share the news that back in November the Lord enabled me to start a faith-based support group for women who have suffered the loss of a baby through miscarriage, stillbirth, abortion or infant death during the first year called Beauty For Ashes Pregnancy and Infant Loss Support Group. My wonderful church has opened its doors and allowed us to use the cozy lounge/coffeehouse for our meetings. I had waited to share the news to see what kind of a response I would get and boy, was there a pretty significant one!
Baby loss, unfortunately, is a sort of taboo in our culture. Too many times moms who are forced to bury a baby are also left to grieve alone, or sometimes not allowed to grieve at all. I've personally felt this first-hand after enduring two miscarriages and giving birth to my own son who Heaven held before I did... Beauty For Ashes Infant and Pregnancy Loss Support Group is a place where women can come and share their pains, lay down their burdens and find encouragement, hope and peace on their journey. We meet every third Saturday of the month at 10:30 AM for coffee and bagels in the coffeehouse of Holding Out Hope Church, 660 Middle Country Rd. Middle Island, New York. For directions or more information, please feel free to contact me at archer.adrienne@gmail.com.
We also have a Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/beautyforashesny/ and beautyforashesny@groups.facebook.com) to offer additional support and to be a touch point for women who live out of state, but are looking to connect with a faith-based organization such as this. The Notes section of the page lists myriad resources for our moms and their family members, as well. Thank you to everyone who has supported this mission. Thank you to Lindsey Soto-Villanueva, the March of Dimes representative at Stony Brook University Hospital for your amazing dedication, compassion and loyal service to the Lord, Pastors Richard and Diane Anderson for opening up the church to our group and to Susan Johnson, the behind the scenes lady who has been my mentor, my friend and a true sister in the Lord who really "does it all"!
I ask all who read this that you please consider sharing this on your own Facebook page or email to your contacts as you never know what woman in your life may be carrying her own painful secret of loss, suffering in silence, who could use some healing and hope.

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. It is not as the world gives that I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, and do not let it be afraid.” John 14:27



1 comment:

Laura said...

I love this!!! I may have to talk to my church and see if there is a need for it. It seems like we have kept a lot of people in prayer lately who have lost children. I have a support group at my local hospital every month, and while it is not a "Christian" group, my thoughts and opinions are certainly shared in hopes that others would be able to find that peace that only God can bring when you've lost a child. Looking forward to reading more!
Hugs~
L